The executive order requires state departments and agencies under the executive branch to recognize out-of-state same-sex marriages
The Executive order covers:
- Insurance. Insurance companies conducting business in Rhode Island must extend insurance to same-sex couples on the same terms as to married couples. This includes automobile, life and health insurance policies.
- Parental Rights. When a child is born to a same-sex couple, birth certificate will list mother and spouse.
- Property and Other Rights. Surviving spouse will be listed on death certificate of a married decedent. Same-sex spouse will be exempt from sales tax for transfers of property between the.
- Divorce. Rhode Island Family Court will not conduct divorce proceedings for same-sex couples.
- Income Tax. Same-sex married couples will not be eligible to file state taxes jointly.
- Estate Tax. In gay marriages, the surviving spouse will not be eligible for the marital deduction under the Rhode Island estate tax.